Thursday, March 31, 2011

When hobby becomes profession...


Some time back, I had an argument with my friends over the topic "When Hobby becomes profession". I stated that if we make our hobby our profession; we will get a new hobby! Most of my friends strongly opposed my opinion. A question is why I said so?

Let me elaborate. It’s a human nature; boredom is an output of monotonous life. When life goes on the same track; we tend to divert ourselves to do something different. Moreover it is not boredom but it is a tendency of human mind to have a change in life.

The moment you choose your hobby as your profession; it becomes your routine task from which you expect to get revenues. Hence it becomes highly professional. I, personally, have converted my passions into profession but I still have my hobbies on the other end. I guess; we misinterpret the words 'Hobby' and 'Passion'.

A year after this incident, I again asked same question to same guys; what is your hobby? The answers contradicted with the earlier answers.
I am not here to discourage people who have converted their hobbies into profession, just wanted to make a point…When hobby becomes profession; you get a new Hobby!

2 comments:

  1. Well said friend...

    Not everyone gets a chance to make their hobby into their profession... you are right in saying tht if the hobby is made into ones' profession the charm is lost... but at least you know u r doing which u love to do... may be by then u develop anthr hobby, u dnt mind the job u r doing..like the ones who do a corporate 10 to 7 work, day in n day out...without loving the job they do. Its a pity tht the best part of their life is wasted earning money n doing a job they dnt enjoy doing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the part where you point the difference between hobby and passion. A hobby can never be your profession because logically it would never be a hobby then.
    hobby(n) is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time.

    ReplyDelete